Friday, February 5, 2010

Semi-Polished Magazine Well

After seeing some posts from people who have polished their magazine well, I figured I might as well give it a shot. 
So what are the benefits: For one it allows for the magazine to slide smoother in the magwell and allows for quicker reloads.

Tools used: Dremel, Protective eye wear, Vice grip

I used a brass brush and an abrasive brush to do the polishing around the opening, then used a carbon steel brush to shave off the minor nicks on the perimeter of the magwell. I still occasionally hit the perimeter with the magazine but the polishing has reduced the amount of damage I do. 

The curve around the front end of the magwell was designed poorly. I feel as though it causes more problems because the top of the magazine hits that part every time and could theoretically cause lost time.  I wish they would have had it raised the same on all sides to allow for more surface area. by now Henning Wallgren probably has a prototype of his improved version of the magwell. You can check out his updates at http://henningshootsguns.com/ and go to his forum page.




No comments:

Post a Comment