Friday, January 22, 2010

How to Fix Your Magazine Pad to Better Fit the EAA Witness Limited Mag-well





Do it yourself:
Instead of spending another $25-30 on a replacement magazine pad, why not customize it yourself to fit the magazine well. This is a very easy project but you must be careful not to grind off to much of the plastic.

Tools that I used: sandpaper, scissors/knife, dremel, clamp/vise, saw.

Before you start, be sure to take apart the magazine and only use the magazine pad so you do not run the risk of damaging the magazine body.



Where to start: After comparing the magazine that came with the gun (aluminum mag-pad) and the one from EAA (black plastic) I noticed that I need to shave the sides down to about a 75-80 degree angle to allow for it to fit properly in the magazine well. 

To do this I put the magazine pad in the vise just enough to prevent it from moving and not damaging it. I then used the dremel with the grinding stone attachment and carefully shaved off side of the mag pad little by little. After every couple times I shaved the sides down I would put the magazine back together and see how well it fit in the mag well. Eventually the sides looked like they were good enough and did not touch the side of the mag well.

NOTE: if you do not have a dremel, sand paper and scissors will also get the job done, just not as fast. I used the scissors as a shaving tool as well.

Next, I used the saw to cut the front of the mag pad just enough to where it would not come in contact with the mag well. I also had to touch it up with the dremel on the corners just so it would not get caught on the front of the mag well.

I did this to three of my magazines pads. It may not look as nice, but it works perfectly and it saved me about $75-90.

No comments:

Post a Comment