Thursday, March 3, 2011

Shot calling 101!

I have a few links that I plan to really focus on this summer. The first is shot calling by Ben Stoeger. For anyone that wants to shoot faster and more accurately, they need to read this article. Ben explains shot calling in a few simple paragraphs. In order to become a better shooter, you should first focus on calling your shots.

     I remember when I first started shooting, all I did was look at the target and not look where my sights were. I would squeeze off two shots as fast as possible hoping I would hit the target twice in the A-zone. It never worked the way I wanted it to. So I began looking at what other people "see" before they pull the trigger.

http://benstoeger.myonlineplace.org/joomla/index.php?view=article&catid=39%3Atechnique&id=118%3Ashot-calling&option=com_content&Itemid=58

Also another great shot calling video by Travis Tomasie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q1XC8k-tZc

Another by Todd Jarrett:
http://www.shootingusa.com/PRO_TIPS/JARRETT4-2/jarrett4-2.html

The two drills they suggest are both great for learning how to call your shots. Also the 25 yard bill drill makes it a challenge at that distance. This is not something you will learn in one range session so take your time and be patient.

     I am still learning how to call my 2nd shot, my main problem is slowing down to actually see the sights come back down. My stage runs are typically 3-5 seconds faster than most people because I rush through them without calling my shots. It's not worth it to miss those shots and lose points. So take your time and get the most points you possible can. Anyone can shoot fast, but few can shoot fast and accurate!

No comments:

Post a Comment